Monday, September 9, 2013

How Can You Handle the Most Annoying Entrepreneurial Question?

Person: “So Ryan, why do you charge (insert number here) for your article writing services?”
Me: dead air…or no email response.

The most annoying question faced by ghostwriters, or people who offer services, is the pay question. Cheap bastards will try to lower your price. Bargain basement shoppers will question your price. Even prospering individuals might try to work you down. But the question, well this question can annoy the hell out of you if you allow it to do so.


The Old Me

I remember the old me, explaining, paragraph after paragraph, about why I charged what I charged. Explanation, explanation, facts, proofs, these people say I write well, etc, etc, etc. Then one day an idea hit me….here it is:

Before you walk into a doctor’s office do you call the doctor and ask he or she to lower their rates? Do you complain about pricing? Do you threaten to go to Doctor Issac Yankum, or Dr. Mengala, down the block, because they will see you for $15 an hour? Do you question the doctor’s credentials after soaking them up? Do you feel the need to try to work this doctor down? No. Of course not. Unless you are insane.

OK, so, since I spent 4 years developing my writing skills, devoting thousands of hours learning my craft, I earned the right to charge fair market value. So I charge it. If you do not question an MD do not question RB. I like the sound of that J

Before you walk into a lawyer’s office do you call the lawyer and ask he or she to lower their rates? Do you complain about pricing? Do you threaten to go to The Ambulance Chaser down the block, because they will help you for $15 an hour? Do you question the lawyer’s credentials after soaking them up? Do you feel the nee to work this lawyer down? No. Of couse not. Unless you are insane.

OK, since I spent 4 years developing my writing skills, devoting thousands of hours learning my craft, I earned the right to charge fair market value. I charge it. If you do not question a lawyer do not question RB. And if you are the person offering the services, does a doctor or lawyer explain their rates? No. Neither should you.

Never Ever Do This


Never lower your rates to accodomate a broke person. Never lower your rates to accommodate a cheap person. I remember a particularly unhappy guttersnipe who complained about my rates; I did not stand firm. I did not explain. I ignored. Guttersnipe vanishes, replaced by people who dig my online business services. 

Do not, and I repeat, do not charge less for your ghostwriting services. This would be like a doctor cowering under pressure from a broke person, which is assinine, and you, learning your skill for months and years, are just as much the ass if you let a cheap person work down your rates.

The Mistake


Because if you lower your work at home venture value guess who will come along? A cheaper person who tries to lower your price. They will complain about being able to get the same quality or even better quality work through Fiverr – I heard this once – so naturally, if you give in, the price will go down, and down, until you find yourself charging $5 per article instead of $25, or $35, or $45.

I am warning you, the question is annoying, but ignore it. Share your rates. Prices are non-negotiable unless they individual wishes to pay more for a thorough job. You do not ask a doctor for a 30 minute consultation at ½ rate; ie, asking to pay $75 for 30 minutes instead of $150. This is business. This is online business, boys and girls, and this is how big boys and girls do the online business thing.

How to Handle the Annoying Rate Question?


Answer: “Because I do.”

Or, dead air. I like dead air. If you want to zing ‘em a bit – although I see no need to humiliate anybody – use the doctor story or lawyer story above. Help the individual see the silliness in their ways so they stop asking dumb questions.

But Ryan You Are No Doctor????


I know. I put in MORE hours than a doctor going for their MD and working their residency because I devoted 4 years OF MY LIFE – with no daily breaks – learning my craft. Only other entrepreneurs or whackjobs who put in 90 hour weeks or more worked as much. I also paid the price by struggling like a fool so now I charge the prices I do, because I worked harder than most people on earth to develop my skills.

Rates


Now, I do not charge $50,000 an hour, because of the fair market value deal. I work harder and longer than most but I am not setting up mega mergers. I am no Carl Icahn, trying to lower the price of Herbalife, or raise it, or whatever he is up to these days. Fair market. But, never underselling my online business self.

Uncomfortable Feeling


If you are new to making money online or charging for your services embrace the uncomfortable – but freeing – feeling of charging for your online business solutions. Trust me, the feeling goes away after landing your first few clients. The feelings arise the first few times you are needlessly criticized but hold firm; you are good at what you do and deserved to be paid handsomely for what you bring to the table.

The Universe Is a Mirror


You get what you put out there. See yourself in a prospering light. Charge your worth – which is high, if you practiced developing your skills – and sure enough, if you aggressively promote your ghostwriting services you will land clients who pay your rates.  If you lowball yourself guess what The Universe gives you in return? Little.

The Reward


Doing whatever you want to do with your life. If you charge your worth you can make a great living. I prefer to travel the world. Image below is me in Kathmandu, Nepal, my current stop. 36 months and counting traveling the world and loving it!



Your Turn


How do you handle this question?

Have you thought of the doctor/lawyer analogy?

Please Share This Post on All of Your Social Networks!

- Image http://www.flickr.com/photos/mig/